Ghana Keen to Push Partnership with Ethiopian Airlines for New National Carrier

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Ghana has indicated its desire to work in partnership with Africa’s largest airline, Ethiopian Airlines, in order to create and launch a new carrier.

These agreements between the government of Ghana and Ethiopia come after both countries signed the Memorandum of Understanding.

The Nerve Africa reports its own sources indicating that the final agreement was signed last month and will see the Ghanaian state owning a 51 percent stake in the new airline with Ethiopian owning the remaining 49 percent stake.

However, the government has indicated that its overall plan is to transfer an unspecified tranche to local Ghanaian entities.

“A number of them have expressed interest and the Ministry of Aviation is still speaking with some of the insurance companies and banks who have expressed interest,” Simon Allotey, Director-General of the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) later told the B&FT. “But initially, what might happen is that the government’s initial shareholding might go beyond 10%. It will hold the shares for the potential Ghanaian investors because we can’t wait for all of them to come on-board before the airline starts.”

It would be recalled that following the end of Ghana Airways and Ghana International Airlines in 2004 the country has since not been able to have its own airline.

Share.

Leave A Reply